Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Just Because




I've been very quiet this past year, doing a lot of working and thinking. After a rough first few months of the year due to some non-serious but aggravating health issues, I got a late start on the bike in May, doing 3 to 5 milers every morning to get some kind of a base and worked my way into longer rides. Since then, I've accumulated mileage averaging anywhere between 80 to 120 miles a week, incorporating some hill work as well. Not bad for an old fat girl.


I don't know where this drive came from, nor do I want to know. All I do know is I get up in the morning and I MUST RIDE. That's it. I have my coffee and a banana and out I go. My pre-work miles are 10-15 milers and I do my long rides on the weekend.


I thought about taking rest days and figured I would rest when it rained. Only one morning has it rained since May, so far, so I have pretty much been riding almost everyday. I have to ride. The one time I did take that day off, I felt awful all day.


It rained one morning last week but I decided I had enough base miles in that I would try running instead, since I'm guessing I'll be doing a lot of that this winter, along with being on the trainer. To my utter shock, I was able to run (insert the word "jog" or "crawl" if you prefer) a complete mile (albeit a 15 minute mile) for the first time in over 12 years, I think.


I've lost 16 pounds and have gotten totally used to my clip-in pedals, to the point where I don't even think about where I'm going to land if I have to stop. I'm plodding forward and doing better than ever.


I can honestly say that in April, I was in the worst shape of my life and heavier than ever by about 5 lbs. Now I am in the best shape I've been in in years (which is not to say I am in great shape, but better) and a bit lighter.


This morning on my ride, I found myself asking myself why I feel driven to ride at this stage of my life. I decided not to question it.


A bike was my first source of independence, since growing up we didn't own a car. Riding a bike has been a part of my life for over half a century. It is a part of me.



So I ride...just because.

3 comments:

Mike J said...

Way to go Linda. You're rockin the bike. Even going for a short ride to the store brightens my day.

jeff said...

I love it! Any day you get a ride in is a good day! Glad to see you post again.

rick is! said...

nice job. keep it up. biking keeps me from being a burned out jerk to everyone.